Back to top
How Many Remote I/O AKT-ECT-000-000 Couplers are Required in an Application.
The following are guidelines when determining how many AKT-ECT-000-000 Ethercat Coupler modules are required in a KAS application using Remote I/O. Please note that the AKD-PDMM controller/drive, AKD and S700 drives, and PCMM stand alone controller all contain I/O that could be used in an application.Typically these are used first before using Remote I/O to minimize overall system cost.
The remote IO configuration for each AKT coupler (AKT-ECT-000-000 ) must not exceed any of the following limits:
- Slice Quantity Limitations - The max number of slices the coupler can have is 64 with 1 of them being an end module (AKT-EM-000-000)
- Data Limitations -The max number of data bytes the coupler can process to and from the Ethercat network is 1024 bytes of input and 1024 bytes of output. The amount of bytes a particular slice has in define in the row "Bit width in the process image" in the Specification sheet for each slice
- Power Limitations - Each Bus coupler can provide 1750 mAmp of 5V logic power and 10 Amps of of 24V power for output power. A Power Feed Module (AKT-PS-024-000 or AKT-PSF-024-000) can be added for an additional 1750 mAmp of logic power and 10 Amps of 24V output power.
Attached is a spreadsheet to help help determine how many AKT-ECT-000-000 couplers are needed in an application.
- An AKT-EM-000-000 End Module is required to terminate each I/O rack (AKT-ECT-000-000 coupler plus I/O slices)
- Thermocouple I/O slices ( AKT-AN-200-000 and AKT-AN-400-000) do not pass through the 24 volt power. Therefore in an IO rack they are typically placed to the right of the I/O slices and with the AKT-EM-000-000 End Module directly afterwards.