Back to top
Valid for S300, S400, S600, S700
The servo amplifier's firmware can be upgraded by the user. Two possible procedures exist:
- Update via Memory card - with S700 only
- Update via serial PC Interface (RS232) or USB - with S300, S400, S600, S700
Fimware, motor database, motion profile tables and macro programs can be updated. A total backup of memory data is possible, too. This functionality means that a replacement device or identical shafts in standard production machines can be set up very quickly and easily.
The firmware installed in the servo amplifier defines the export classification of the device .Servo amplifiers, which are not affected by the Dual Use directive, fulfill the requirements with the included software (frequency below 600 Hz). Page Export Classification gives information concerning the export classification of firmware.
The integrated memory card slot in S700 servo amplifiers offer a very simple and fast possibility to update software or backup data. MMC or SD cards can be used. Uploads and Downloads from and to the memory card can be started with the keypad or using a terminal program, e.g. Hyperterminal.
To download new firmware to an amplifier without a PC connection, proceed as follows:
- Download the firmware to be programmed from our website and save it to to memory card under the name default.s19" (S-record format) or "default.bin" (binary format).
- Disconnect the power to the amplifier (24 V supply OFF) and insert the card in the memory card slot on the amplifier.
- Press and hold down both operating keys (S700 front) and switch on the 24 V supply voltage to the amplifier. “—” appears in the display to indicate that the monitor program has been activated. In case of access problems the drive display shows the letters "CCC". The interrupted command proceeds after re-insertion of the memory card.
- Press both operating keys again to start the update process. The progress of the update can be monitored in the display:
- First, the firmware is downloaded from the card to the internal memory.
- During this phase, the display counts from 0 to 100.
- Next, the internal firmware memory is deleted. During this phase, 100 is displayed permanently.
- Once the firmware memory has been deleted, the firmware is written. This phase is indicated in the display by the display counting backwards from 100 to 0.
- Once programming has been completed, the firmware is started automatically.
The parameter file can also be loaded automatically on a restart. If a parameter file with the name "default.par" has already been saved on the memory card, it will be loaded by the firmware at this point. This allows fully automatic updating of the firmware/parameters.
Detailled information for operating the memory card with ASCII commands (setup software): see page Memory Card.
You can use the RS232 interface of your PC or the USB port (with USB->RS232 Converter). Firmware Upgrades for servo amplifiers via the serial interface require a PC tool (check the product CDROM or our website). Download Link:
The Upgrade Tool requires .Net Framework 3.5 or higher from Microsoft. If this version is not installed yet, visit the Microsoft Download Center:
- .NET 3.5 based on .NET 2.0: Download .NET Framework 3.5
- If .NET 2.0 is not installed: Download .NET Framework 2.0
With the Upgrade Tool you can process:
- Firmware Upgrade
- Motor Database Upgrade
- Motion Profile Table Upgrade
- PLC Program Upgrade (contact our customer support)
- Serial PC Interface (COM1...10)
- USB Interface with USB=>Serial Converter